Wyoming Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, Operational Rules, Drilling Rules
Wyoming was the first state to implement a policy that requires companies to disclose the contents of hydraulic fracturing fluids. In September 2010, the Wyoming Oil and Gas Conservation Commission amended Chapter 3 of its rules and regulations to require disclosure of chemical constituents in fracturing fluids.
From Chapter 3, Section 45 of the "operational rules, drilling rules" of the Wyoming Oil and Gas Conservation Commission:
The Owner or Operator shall provide detailed information to the Supervisor as to the base stimulation fluid source. The Owner or Operator or service company shall provide to the Supervisor, for each stage of the well stimulation program, the chemical additives, compounds and concentrations or rates proposed to be mixed and injected, including:
- Stimulation fluid identified by additive type (such as but not limited to acid, biocide, breaker, brine, corrosion inhibitor, crosslinker, demulsifier, friction reducer, gel, iron control, oxygen scavenger, pH adjusting agent, proppant, scale inhibitor, surfactant);
- The chemical compound name and Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) number shall be identified (such as the additive biocide is glutaraldehyde, or the additive breaker is aluminum persulfate, or the proppant is silica or quartz sand, and so on for each additive used);
- The proposed rate or concentration for each additive shall be provided (such as gel as pounds per thousand gallons, or biocide at gallons per thousand gallons, or proppant at pounds per gallon, or expressed as percent by weight or percent by volume, or parts per million, or parts per billion);
- The Owner or Operator or service company may also provide a copy of the contractor's proposed well stimulation program design including the above detail;
- The Supervisor may request additional information under this subsection prior to the approval of the Application for Permit to Drill (Form 1) or of the Sundry Notice (Form 4);
- The Supervisor retains discretion to request from the Owner or Operator and/or the service company, the formulary disclosure for the chemical compounds used in the well stimulation(s).
Wyoming Oil and Gas Conservation Commission – Operational Rules, Drilling Rules [PDF]